WHITE HOUSE PETITION
TO WHIT: http://wh.gov/lVyBa
Considering Russia has callously and criminally invaded the sovereign territory of a neighboring country.
– and that the 1994 Budapest Memorandum commits Russia, the US, and the UK to guarantee the security of this country because it voluntarily gave up it’s hundreds of nuclear weapons
– and the failure of this guarantee is a spur to every near-nuclear state to get their own nukes, like Iran
– and merger with Russia is rejected by 59% of the Crimeans; and the illegal referendum without a “no change” option will be held under conditions of armed threat, intimidation, and fraud
– and this aggression by the giant Russia on a neighbor destabilizes Europe and is the worst aggression on their part since Afghanistan and Georgia
– and this aggression subjects the Tatars (a Turkic people) to further discrimination and threats, after a history of Soviet genocide and deportation
– which has reportedly already started with Tatar homes being marked in preparation for possible ethnic cleansing
– and Turkey, by the Montreux Convention and 1982 amendment, has absolute control of the following zone
— WE PETITION BARRACK OBAMA TO PERSUADE TURKEY TO CLOSE THE BOSPHORUS STRAIT TO RUSSIAN WARSHIPS UNTIL SUCH TIME AS RUSSIA WITHDRAWS ALL RECENT FORCES (INCLUDING UNMARKED SOLDIERS) FROM THE CRIMEAN PENINSULA, AND RETURNS IT TO UKRAINIAN CONTROL
This is a passive action that makes the Black Sea Fleet useless as a warm water fleet, and would likely force Russian withdrawal from Crimea, since the alternative – attacking Turkey, a NATO member, is unimaginable. The Turkish Straits are 100 km long and were even closed to the Nazi’s all through WW2.